Plus five fab affordable rentals.
The arrival of March means one important thing: Time to ditch reality in favor of sunshine, beaches, and piña coladas. But spring break, AKA lazing away with a gorgeous view, can come at a cost—how much of one, however, depends on just when and where you choose to go.
According to a report from Booking.com, the cost of 2018 spring break is 2% more expensive overall, but certain destinations are actually significantly cheaper (as much as 42% in some cities).
To determine the top affordable hot spots, Booking.com analyzed travel costs to popular spring break destinations throughout the seven-week period (March 17 - April 28). The city they deemed most bargain-friendly throughout spring break? Playa del Carmen, which came in at an average of 20% cheaper compared to last year.
Our Playa del Carmen Rental Pick: A Luxury Studio with a Rooftop Pool, $71 per night (pictured below)
San Diego, with its warm weather, swaying palms, and covetable craft brew scene, also ranked high in terms of affordability throughout the seven-week time frame, costing an average of 17% less than last year.
Our San Diego Rental Pick: A Vintage Airstream in the Heart of town, $69 per night (pictured below)
Related: These Are the Cheapest Places to Travel Each Month of the Year:
In addition to pinpointing select cities for their overall affordability, the report provided week-by-week recommendations for money-saving destinations, with some beach towns costing as much as 29% less than last year during a set week. Check out the entire list of budget getaways (and great budget rentals!), and then get booking.
Week of March 17th - 23rd
Our Ocean City Rental Pick: A Charmingly Decorated Condo Just Steps from the Shore, $73 per night (pictured below)
Week of March 24th - 30th
- Cancún, Mexico: 23% cheaper
- Miami, Florida: 9% cheaper
- Palm Springs, California: 14% cheaper
- San Diego, California: 8% cheaper
Week of March 31st - April 6th
- Clearwater Beach, Florida: 10% cheaper
- Key West, Florida: 12% cheaper
- Miami Beach, Florida: 18% cheaper
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: 26% cheaper
- Orlando, Florida: 16% cheaper
- San Juan, Puerto Rico: 22% cheaper
- Santa Barbara, California: 12% cheaper
- Santa Cruz, California: 25% cheaper
- Virginia Beach, Virginia: 25% cheaper
Our Virginia Beach Rental Pick: A Family-Friendly Suite with Two Pools, $136 per night (pictured below)
Week of April 7th - 13th
- Daytona Beach, Florida: 20% cheaper
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida: 15% cheaper
- Las Vegas, Nevada: 6% cheaper
- South Padre Island, Texas: 24% cheaper
Week of April 14th - 20th
- Atlanta, Georgia: 17% cheaper
- Monterey, California: 7% cheaper
- Nashville, Tennessee: 10% cheaper
- New Orleans, Louisiana: 20% cheaper
- Reno, Nevada: 42% cheaper
- San Antonio, Texas: 28% cheaper
- Savannah, Georgia: 16% cheaper
Week of April 21st - 28th
- Atlantic City, New Jersey: 25% cheaper
- Corpus Christi, Texas: 40% cheaper
- Panama City Beach, Florida: 6% cheaper
Our Panama City Beach Rental Pick: A Darling Cottage in a Quiet Part of Town, $84 per night (pictured below)